Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Gary Gygax and Dungeons & Dragons

I will start off by acknowledging that I have never played Dungeons & Dragons....have never really liked the "fantasy games". I have no statistical data to promote or demote the game. I played cowboys and indians as a child and war games with my friends but could never get into writing stuff down. Was kind of a geek also growing up as I have always loved to read. Was able to escape into books and movies. Loved the science fiction books but was not into J.R.R. Tolkien's Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings (my loss that has now become a gain).

On the blog site BAYLY BLOG, which is the blog of David and Tim Bayly, two Presbyterian Pastors, there is a very well-written article by Paul Cote about Gary Gygax and Dungeon and Dragons. Tim knew Paul Cote from his University days and Divinity school. It is a very compelling recounting of a 15 year old boy who met and was charmed by Gary. Please click on the link below to read the article.

The Bayly Blog - Another Post on Gary Gygax and D & D

By the way, there is one commenter who gives the the content of one of the last emails from Gary in which he professes to know the Lord.

This is a bit of my history to show where I came from.

I spent a period of time in the '70s reading about parapsychology, out-of-body travel, and near-death experiences. But I was deathly afraid of anything occult or witchcraft, or satanic. Was also told that it could be dangerous to play with a Ouija board, that it may open you up to things beyond your control or comprehension. And you know what, I believed that on the off chance that it was true. It wasn't until I surrendered to Jesus that I realized those things that are not biblical truths and that are counter to biblical teachings should be avoided. That there are forces and powers beyond my ability to comprehend. I've also realized that there are many seekers, just like I was, that gravitate to these areas that are unchurched and non-believers and they need to be given the chance to hear the "better choice". Not all are hardened devil worshippers and likely (I have no imperical data to back this up) most of them are simply lost. As Christians we are supposed to be seeking the lost (non-believers and the unchurched) and helping them to find the way. We are now proposing to seek the unchurched and non-believers in our areas poor and we are uncomfortable with that (voiced in the questions and objections that we don't have the time or the gifting when what we are really afraid of is change). Imagine then the objections to reaching out to the gay community or to the troubled youth or what about a prison ministry?

Travis has posted about the passing of Gary Gylax and Dungeons and Dragons on his blog. Please click on the link below to read the article.

Patriarchate of Constantinople

These comments are for Travis's article on Gary Gygax.

I admit that when I first read the article I was a bit shaken by some of the "tone of voice" and the open attack on Christians and defense of this game. I had to read it several times and read other articles that were offered by others. After about the third time I realized that Travis was not promoting the game so much as he was condemning the unfair attacks by Christians. There is only empirical data given by individuals with no statistical data to support either side. Just a lot of suppositions based on a person's personal view. The condemnation concerning the Christian attacks is appropriate in that we despise what others do when they condemn Christianity or religion using disproportionately unfair descriptors to make their points. We should not do the same. I also read The Bayly Blog with the accompanying comments and was surprised at the affirmations by pastors and others that were unapologetic Christians. It did make me start to think about the hypocrisy that is prevalent in the church and that that very hypocrisy is then used to demean the Christian religion. We tend to condemn and isolate that which we find repugnant and/or fear. We also inadvertently "throw the baby out with the bathwater" because we condemn and shun those that need the gospel the most. It is the very reason why I have to face my own hypocrisy of shunning the gays, pierced, tattooed and outrageously dressed. These are the very people who need the love and kindness that was displayed by the very Lord that I profess to love and to whom he would be attending.

First let me back up and say that to honor or remember someone who has had an influence in your life and has died is a good thing to do. From all I've read, I do not believe that Gary had any intent to lead people to the devil. At the same time I am sure that there were those that used it for their own agendas and that unchecked and unsupervised a person who has the desire will dabble in the occult and magic.

By the way Travis, do you realize that in that 6 year period of time you spent 1 year, 7 months and 2 weeks (at 40 hrs per week) playing this game? I used the 6 years and 1.5(1 to 2 times per week) times a week and an average of 7 hours per session((4+10)/2=7) for a total of 3275 hours divided by 40(hours per week) equals right at 82 wks. That is a lot of time and one of my objections to any game, computer game, tv watching, or movie watching. Yes, that game requires you to do math (a redeeming value), and strategize, and the computer games produce lightening fast decision making and superior eye hand coordination. All this to say that all things require a balance. I had to make some tough decisions with our kids. They spent too much time in front of the tv and it was impossible to completely control time and programs. The solution was to remove the cable for which I was prepared to be hated and despised. However none of that came about and beyond the initial grumbling there was not a huge revolt.

I do believe that we do not teach our young enough about our nation or church's past...that work is good (the hated "chores"), that it is ok to use your imagination (I think "growing up", being adult and just getting older inhibits the use of the imagination).....that you don't check your imagination at the door of the church (don't we have to spend time imagining who and what God is...and what about heaven?)......that there is evil in the world.....about the secular world......about the secular world view......that being a Christian means we will have struggles.......that you do not have to be some weak kneed, quivering shell of a boy/man or some covered head to toe clothed, always silent girl/woman to be a Christian....that we can have more fun and joy without having to sin to obtain it.

We have to be careful not to be like Lot and "linger" as J.C. Ryle puts it in his book "Holiness". We cannot forget that the dangers of the world and worldly people. Lot moved to Sodom and in the course of events "He appears to have no weight or influence with the people who lived around him." "If ever you would be safe from lingering, beware of needless mingling with worldly people."

I do not believe that D & D presents any problem because it is dying out. On the other hand I do not think it should be promoted or even glamorized to our youth.

2 comments:

Cyril Lucar said...

I can think of about a hundred ways my youth could have been better spent (and several worse). Numerous youth groups (and I can think of a prominent PCA one and a large youth group in our city) have large banks of X-boxes for the kids to play. I'm sure that's worse.

Here's an exercise: Think of a group of people that you are apt to judge (D&D players, surfers, bikers, whatever). Then think about whether your own congregation has a place for them. And if they have to be like you to have a place, it doesn't count.

Simon Potter said...

That is the point after all, to attract the unchurched. I don't want them to be like I was just to understand that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.