Thursday, January 24, 2008

Keith Hersch Update

Hi all,

Hit 40 on the 13th. They say life begins at 40, which makes me wonder where I have been for the last 39 years.

Basic update on life here.

Weather: cold and occationally snowing.

Work: currently on vacation, teaching for another year at Ansan College of Technology. Classes include Hotel/Restaurant Management English, Business English, and Conversational English classes for professors and staff.

Health: Sick (as always) will have to discuss:
what new urological surgeries and tests will be done this vacation while I have time to recover.
why I keep throwing up what I eat on a regular basis (not intentional for those who know my past)

Education: changed degree program from TESOL (Teaching English as a Second or Other Language) to Christian education.
Switched from University of Birmingham (UK) to Newburgh Seminary
This spring will start PhD in Christian Ed, I hope my focus to be on Puritan concepts of the mentor-disciple relationship

Church: Still going to the Philippine church (Thanks Steve C. and Owen clan for that push)
Becoming an unofficial leader in the church

Will begin preaching in a few weeks (Hope to speak on Biblical worship -Will preach on rare occations, nothing regular.My pastor's birthday present was John Piper's book "Dont Waste Your Life" with the clear understanding, if I don't start my preaching, I am wasting my life :) Never considered preaching as anything I wanted to do, was called to do or even thought about - but 7 years ago, if you told me I was going to teach English at a college in Korea I would have laughed my head off.


Future Plans: Working closely with my pastor and in a couple years will hopefully join him in working in the Philippines teaching at a school for training church leaders.

Prayer Requests: Health issues
Energy to finish my MA and start my PhD
Language studies - have added Tagalog to Korean and Chinese as languages I need to study on a daily basis.


Pray for Our Church: Our church is full of people seeking a Phil. community over a Christian community and new believers that don't know the difference between good theology and goofy theology. Pray for conversions and growth.

Our church leadership - my pastor, Pastor Rolex, will be going back to the Philippines this Feb, and to America for doctoral studies this fall. Brother Koo is our Korean Rep. both are fighting upstream with our main church leadership. I go to a ministry branch of a Presbyterian church which actually has invited Benny Hinn to Korea and things the Toronto Blessing is something to seek.) My pastor, Bro. Koo and I are constantly fighting such goofiness.

Our temp pastor coming in is a "Laughing in the Spirit" supporter. which means Bro. Koo and I will be locking horns constantly with a charismatic pastor.

Pray that a doctrinally sound pastor from the Philippines comes quickly. Pray that somehow he will slip under the radar of those seeking more "open-minded" leaders.


That's it in a nutshell.

Pax,

Keith

--
And the Lord said, "Who will go for us,
Whom shall we send?" and I said, "Here
am I send me" Isa 6:8

No comments: